When you create your home, you take a lot of pain to pick and choose the right curtains for the windows. You make sure that they match the wall color and the sofa color. You spend several days searching in markets to get the perfect material for the curtains. And when you hang them, you consider your work as done.
If there is no festival or if you are not cleaning your home for the spring, you rarely see in their direction, and just forget about their cleaning. Finally, they get really dirty, and you throw them away to start the purchase process again. Instead of going for a new curtain, you should consider regular cleaning, which can only benefit your home decor, keep the curtains in good shape and also allows you to put the money to better use. It is not a very hard task and can be done easily by following the steps below.
1. Check the fabric of your curtains, whether it is light or heavy. If the curtain is made of lightweight fabric such as cotton or silk, a gentle shaking will be sufficient to keep them clean. You can also vacuum them regularly to keep them clean and dust-free. Before adopting any cleaning method, see the attached tag for details on the cleaning process suitable for your curtains.
2. If you curtain is made of cotton or linen cloth, you can clean them once a week. Just put them in the washing machine and run the gentle cycle. To dry them, hang them in the sun. In the case your curtains are colorful, put them in partial shade and half Sun. Be sure to bring them in when they are dry.
3. If curtains need dry cleaning and if it is not affordable for you, there is an option for you. Shake the curtains to remove maximum dust possible. Then take a fabric steamer and run it over the curtains. It will kill bacteria and give curtains a fresh look.
4. A lint brush can be used to wipe down your curtains on regular basis. Start from the top and move towards the base. Make sure that you vacuum both the sides of the curtain.
5. Do the sniff test on curtains. Sniff curtains to see if they smell fresh or old. Some people spray fresheners on their curtains. You can also do this, but ensure that you don’t use any harsh chemicals because it can discolor or weaken the fabric.
6. While cleaning, make sure that you wash the curtains rings also. If they are dirty and rusty, boil them in vinegar water. This will remove all the rust and bring them back in their original condition. Curtain rods should also be cleaned regularly.
7. If you have curtains with a delicate fabric, do not put them in direct sunlight. If you can’t avoid sun, use a liner to cover them from behind and protect them from the direct sun. You can also add window blinds.
8. If your curtain is made of expensive materials, it’s better to get them cleaned by a professional. Washing them at home can do more harm than good.